The Hon. Pierre Poilievre, Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada and the Official Opposition, and Melissa Lantsman, Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, released the following statement calling for Minister LeBlanc to put in place security measures and protect Jewish people in Canada.
"On October 10th, in the wake of the horrific invasion and terrorist attacks committed by Hamas in Israel, a high-ranking Hamas leader issued a televised statement making an explicit call for action across the world calling for mobilization in support of these vicious acts of terrorism. This statement has circulated widely online and is garnering millions of views across social media platforms.
"The overwhelming majority of Canadians are disgusted by Hamas’ barbaric attacks and want no part in their vile ideology. But in a time when Jewish communities are already struggling to deal with the horrific events in Israel, there is a heightened level of anxiety about the potential of threats and violence directed towards Jewish institutions in Canada.
"Given the dangerous and violent rhetoric from Hamas terrorists that have already inspired large protests in support of their evil acts, it is vital that all levels of government ensure adequate security and protective measures are in place to protect Jewish schools, synagogues, and cultural centres across the country. The Government of Canada must play the central role.
"Conservatives are calling on Minister LeBlanc to:
• Take the lead and convene an urgent call between the federal government and appropriate provincial and municipal law enforcement authorities to ensure proper coordination across jurisdictions and between organizations;
• Ensure the RCMP, including specialized Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSET) and National Security Enforcement Sections (NSES), is providing resources and working directly with appropriate provincial and municipal police forces to share appropriate information and intelligence to provide protection to the Jewish community across Canada;
• Direct CSIS to immediately implement threat reduction measures, including communicating to the Jewish community any intelligence related to the Hamas threats;
• Update Canadians on whether the threat assessment of the federal government’s Integrated Terrorism Assessment Centre is being re-evaluated in light of the Hamas threats this Friday;
• Directly engage with Jewish organizations and community groups across the country to hear their specific concerns and gather feedback on actions the federal government can take to enhance the security and safety of Jewish Canadians.
• Make new Security Infrastructure Program funding accessible in an expedited manner so that community institutions and centres can enhance security measures at their gathering spaces.
"The safety of all Canadians must be the first priority of government. In this volatile and traumatic time for Jewish Canadians, the government must act quickly to ensure appropriate protections and security measures are in place."